Rail line Ostroleka - Willenberg 1914 question

Historia dróg żelaznych;

Moderatorzy: Sebastian Marszał, bastard

magnno
Towarowy

Rail line Ostroleka - Willenberg 1914 question

Post autor: magnno »

Hello,

Sorry for the english, but my polish is non-existent. Nevertheless I have great hopes in getting an answer to my question from all you kind people out there.

I'm doing some research on Poland at the outbreak of World War I 1914. I need to confirm if there was a rail line between Ostroleka and Willenberg (East Prussia) at the outbreak of the war or not. If so, what kind of rail line was it? Is there a contemporary map over the polish rail network from this time?

Respectfully,

Magnus
Awatar użytkownika
Adam Dąbrowski
DYŻURNY RUCHU

Post autor: Adam Dąbrowski »

No, at the outbreak of World War I only a railway line between Nidzica (Neidenburg) and Szczytno (Ortelsburg) existed.

The railway line from Wielbark (Willenberg) to Ostrołęka (Ostrolenka) was built on 10 August 1915 under German administration as a military narrow-gauge railway (called "Feldbahn"). Poor efficiency of the narrow-gauge railway was insufficient for the Germans so they began to build standard gauge railway (1435 mm), which was opened on 1 September 1915. It should be emphasized that its construction took only 28 days. Most of works was done by Russian captives. When the construction work on the standard gauge railway railway was completed, most of the narrow-gauge network was dismantled (some parts were left as "forest-railways"). The railway line Willenberg - Ostrolenka was used both for military and civilian traffic (look at the timetable in the annex).

At the end of World War I and establishing boundaries the railway line from Wielbark (Willenberg) to Chorzele was dismantled (I don't know which year it was exactly). The route from Ostrołęka to Chorzele was under Polish administration. Polish trains ended their run first in Raszujka, then in Chorzele). After the outbreak of World War II the Germans rebuilt Wielbark - Chorzele line, which still exists today. From Ostrołęka to Chorzele it is in very poor condition. Both lines Ostrołęka - Wielbark - Szczytno and Nidzica - Szczytno are closed nowadays.
Załączniki
R1917 Willenberg Siedlce.jpg
R1917 Neidenburg Ortelsburg.jpg
Pozdrawiam serdecznie,
Adam Dąbrowski
magnno
Towarowy

Post autor: magnno »

Adam. Thanks for the clear end exhaustive answer!

Kind regards,

Magnus
Awatar użytkownika
CM
Ekspres
Kontakt:

Post autor: CM »

Map of normal railways & narrow gauge railways (feldbahnnen) 1914-1918
Załączniki
Entwicklung der Eisenbahnen nach 1914
Entwicklung der Eisenbahnen nach 1914
menu.jpg